NOT TO MISS
Events with local groups and bands are organized throughout the year by the Cultural & Sports Society of the City of Astypalea. These include theatrical performances, book fairs, musical events and dancing in traditional costumes.
A recently organized festival of Arts and Culture encompasses both a summer and winter season of events to promote and disseminate culture, revive traditions and enthrall both visitors and residents of Astypalea. Each year the Cultural Festival features photography, book, film and painting exhibitions in private premises or in the specially built multi-purpose hall of the primary school, which is also used as a conference room.
Fairs / Festivals
– On February 1st, the fair of Panagia Flevariotissa is a winter must for residents and friends of Astypalea.
– The fair of Prophet Elias on July 19th.
– The fair of Agios Panteleimon on July 26th
– The fair of Jesus the Saviour on August 5th
– On 14th and 15th August the fair Panagia Portaitissa
– The fair of St. John the Baptist on August 28th
– On September 4th, the icon of Panagia Portaitissa and the relics of Osios Anthimos are taken on a religious procession around Hora, after which everyone is invited to participate in a feast.
– On September 7th, the fair of Panagia of Thoma in Vathy and of Panagia Poulariani
– The fair of Agios Dimitrios on October 25th in Analipsi / Maltezana.